Ho-Hum. I'm behind my posting schedule on here, and my poor Old Movie Blog hasn't been visited by me in months! That and my posts on here apparently have not been the most interesting.
I hope you find this one more to your liking, and voice your opinion of it. I shall tell about a couple of mini-parties I've had, then at the end I shall tell a deep, dark secret.
But you have to read the entire post, don't just skip to the end!
A couple of weeks ago I had my dear friend Reba (Queen Lucy, please don't mention to her the fact that I called her "Reba." She may not like it much...) here for a sleepover, and it was one of the best times I've had in a while! We watched some old silent movies (Buster Keaton is officially a genius. Some of the effects he used look rather simple now, but at the time these were New and Innovative! No one else had used them yet! And you know how in the '30s, '40s, and '50s, if the people were shown in a car they were actually in front of a movie screen to make it look like they were really driving? Buster Keaton didn't do that! Back in the 'teens and early '20s, even, if he was shown driving he was actually driving the car outside. So admit it. He was pretty much the best silent actor.) watched some silent movies, played FARKLE and UNO, and talked.
One of the highlights was sitting in the kitchen with a candle, a pair of forks, and a bag of marshmallows. C= I've always wanted to roast shmallows over a candle, and now I have. It's a little different because there's so little flame--you have to burn it to get it melted. Oh, and we also roasted apple slices over the candle, too. They weren't spectacular. Just warmed. Kinda boring, really.
Reba left the next morning, but not until we talked more and placed some imaginary bets on the outcome of the Uno Tournament. Now I wish they hadn't been imaginary! (I beat her with me three zeros and one 48. :) Adn now she's in Florida until I-don't-know-when (do you know when they get back, Queen Lucy?), and I can't wait for her to return!
Then the Friday after that, Sis invited three friends over to watch "Arsenic and Old Lace," which is another one of the Best Movies Ever! (Cary Grant was the perfect person for Mortimer, and I loved Teddy and the aunts, and Priscilla Lane was perfect for her part, especially the last scene, and Peter Lorre as Dr. einstein was hilarious, and I loved all the jokes about Jonathan looking like Boris Karlof.) Poor Mr. Hoskins!
In addition to watching the movie, we consumed hundreds of gummy bears and had a deeply scientific discussion on pop, what makes it fizz, what makes it loose or keep its fizz, why raisins act funny in pop, why craisins are even more entertaining in pop, and the chemical make-up of pop. I don't remember even half of what was said & decided on, but it was a half-hour-long-deep-discussion!
That was another highlight of my recent life. =) I like old movies with friends.
And the deep, dark secret I was going to tell you? I like going into (some) caves.
Think about it.
~Kiwi~
2 comments:
I' on the broken oputer so not all of the keys work good luk deoding this essage ;0 (lue; the enter key does not work ;p0 sounds like a lot of fun1 i haen't seen arseni and old lae for a long while ;9 i feel bad for ortier's poor girlfriend1 she had to put up with a lot poor thing ;9 that is a ery interesting way to do the arshallows it sounds like funsorry your blog has been so negleted lately sees like a lot of people are dealing with that issue right now
Hello! :)
Post a Comment