I just finished reading Emma by Jane Austen. It's a good book, with lots of interesting quotes in it, such as:
"'It is very pretty,' said Mr. Woodhouse.....'The only thing I do not thoroughly like is, that she seems to be sitting out of doors, with only a little shawl over her shoulders; and it makes one think she must catch cold.'
'But, my dear papa, it is supposed to be summer; a warm day in summer. Look at the tree.'
'But it is never safe to sit out of doors, my dear.'"
(Mr. Woodhouse is always mildly ill, has to sit by a fire even on sweltering days in summer, and is always afraid that his daughter, or "Poor Miss Taylor," or Someone is going to catch cold or get indigestion. He's sort of entertaining that way, but I don't know if I'd be able to handle living with someone that cautious!)
"It may be possible to do without dancing entirely. Instances have been known of young people passing many, many months successively without being at any ball of any description, and no material injury accrue either to body or mind: but when a beginning is made-when the felicities of rapid motion have once been, though slightly, felt-it must be a very heavy set that does not ask for more."
"She checked herself, however, and submitted quietly to a little more praise than she deserved."
Those are all from Emma, and this is something Jane Austen said in a letter to someone:
"I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal."
And this is from a wonderful movie called "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers." (If you haven't seen it, go find it and watch. It's one of the best. =)
"Now Adam, you're my oldest brother. I always looked up to you, tried to ape you, but I just wouldn't feel right if I didn't tell you how I feel. *POW!!*
And lastly, Downhere has a new song!!!!
Isn't it a good one?!? I can't wait to hear more from them! =D
Goodbye for now, I must leave.
~Kiwi!~
Goodbye for now, I must leave.
~Kiwi!~
1 comment:
I love that last Jane quote. I think it's on my Goodreads quote list someplace.
Well, bye :)
Post a Comment