Monday, May 18, 2009

In The Hands of God ~~ the Newsboys

Here is the afore-promised review of the In The Hands of God cd by the Newsboys, released May 5th. I must warn you, however, that it is rather biased. But maybe this one will help balance out all the bad reviews.

In The Hands of God is the Newsboys' latest release, with band members Peter Furler (lead vocals), Jody Davis (BGVs, guitar), Jeff Frankenstein (keyboards, synth, BGVs), and Duncan Phillips (drums, percussion). Also appearing on the album are Michael Tait, the band's new lead singer, and Phil Joel, a former member.

The cd begins with "The Way We Roll," an autobiography of sorts. I really enjoyed the song. It's fast and full of drums and good vocals. This song tells the start of the band, from when they were "criss-crossin' the states in some van" (wasn't that The Refrigerator?) to about '94 or '95 when "Shine hit the brights."

Second in line is "No Grave." This song is another new favorite of mine. Peter's voice is amazing in here, and the music is great as well. It makes several references to Australian things that I didn't understand until I Googled them. "Lay my body six feet under down in Old Noarlunga" refers to Noarlunga, South Australia. "The ghost gum trees" are actually a variety of Eucalyptus, if I read this article correctly.

"This is Your Life" is interesting. The verses are well-written, but I have to say I was disappointed by the chorus. "This is your life/Treat yourself right/Treat others right/Live like you know you should//This is life/Fight the good fight/Fight for what's right/Do what you know you should." What exactly is 'right'? what if you have a different definition of the word 'right' from someone else? And I'm sure some people 'know' they should steal something. I know that's not what they meant, but those were some of my first thoughts on it.

"Glorious" is beautifully reminiscent of the worship albums. I was glad they included a worship song, because Adoration and Devotion are two of my favorite albums. I already have most of the lyrics memorized!

You all know "In The Hands of God," I'd assume, because it has been out for several months now. I really like this song as well. It was a good song to release. Of course, don't they always release the title track?

"The Upside" is cool! I really wish it was a lot longer. My favorite lyric is "The future's brighter than a sky full o' blue"! That was a good analogy. Now, when I see a sky full o' blue....

"My Friend Jesus" The style, as odd as it sounds, is almost Relient K-esque, but not annoying like they are. The verses in this one are slower and funny. I think Steve Taylor had a bit to do in this one! I like the way Peter quietly says "And as my fist goes through the wall..." he sounds so patiently resigned there! (by the way, Blueh, you're right, this song isn't chopped liver. ;)

"Lead Me to the Cross" is another worship song. It was written by Brooke Fraser, and performed by Hillsong (?). Despite what some are saying about how 'lame' it is to put someone else's song on your album, especially when it's the lead singer's last album, I liked it. And they've done it before with "I Am Free" and "Blessed Be Your Name," so what's the matter with doing it now, I'd like to know? I like it better than Hillsong's (or whoever else sings it) version.
Oh, and the beginning of the second verse, right after the chorus, sounds like Kutless to me.

I'll have to go listen to "Dance" again. I keep forgetting about it when I play just a song or two at a time! Just by glancing over the lyrics, though, I can remember exactly how it goes. I like the line "then bless my soul," just because that phrase is not used very often! That, and the chorus. "Dance like no one is looking/Sing like no one can hear/Love like you've never hurt before/Live like there's nothing to fear"

"RSL 1984" I was glad to see that I wasn't the only one who thought it sounded a wee bit sad. I really love this song. I could listen to it over and over. References to Mooloolaba, surfing, heading out on tour...It's a keeper!
"The surf and the sky and the Sunshine Coast of gold/Floating on a long board, life on hold...." I want to go there!! Sunshine Coast of gold.....*sigh*
"Let all tears turn to gold/And the hell that’s raised/Lord, let it fade away/As Your glories unfold/Give us a part to play/Grant us another day"

All around, In The Hands of God is an amazing album. It's 100% Newsboys, 100% good music, 100% good vocals. I highly recommend buying it. Not that my opinion makes that much of a difference.
In this one, they seemed to go in for the 'cut it off short' style. You know how on Thrive or Step Up To The Microphone, several songs just fade off into the distance? Well, on here it's the opposite.

Some people complained about the cover. I liked it, despite its faint similarity to GO. My only complaint about it is that they didn't smile in any of the pictures!!! Duncan, Jeff, Jody, Peter, or Mike: If any of you are reading this, please take note: SMILE IN THE PICTURES FOR THE NEXT ALBUM! All of you have great smiles, so use them! :D
But even without the smiles, the pictures are all good. Anybody else spot the picture of the photographer?

So anyway, go out and buy a new cd!
'Bye.
~Kiwi~

5 comments:

CrimeSceneFairy said...

Nice review :D :D I think I 98% love this CD. 2% don't love it just cuz of This Is Your Life chorus and the way Pete wings in the second verse of The Way We Roll. that's all. I still luuurrrrrv it. LURRV!!!!!!!!

Kristen said...

The chorus for This is Your Life is kind of cliché. Obviously what's "right" is what the Bible says. What you think is "right" can be way different from what is right. Like that Paul Colman lyric, "They say just follow your heart, yeah, but what if it lies?" Other than that I really like that one.

I don't understand why everyone likes Dance. :P That might be my least favorite one on the record next to Glorious.

RSL 1984 and Lead Me to the Cross are the best ones on there. Looooove them.

Brittany November said...

Hey, I don't think that "My Friend Jesus" is chopped liver either ;)

Good review. I mean, our reviews differ somewhat, but your's is good too :) ;)

Daughter of Eve said...

Owan's new blog address is kristenthegentlymad.blogspot.com. :) (And if for some reason that doesn't work than please don't be mad at me. :P But I'm positive it is.

Christina W. said...

Hey there, cuz! I just had to post b/c guess what's been in my CD player in the van the last 2 weeks! I too enjoyed the new album--a little sad because it was like a good-bye from Peter. Being a fan since about the time your elder sister was born **sigh**old** I thought it was a nice return to their roots, esp. with the Aussie references...see you in a few weeks! Christina