We have the garage cleared out and are now renting it to the renters of our house. They're renting it for the next two weeks because they're not moving in until the fifteenth. If all goes well, we will be closing on the house up in Wisconsin on the twelfth or fifteenth. It might be later than that, which would mean living at our grandparents' house for a few days. I hope that everything works so we can move in on Saturday the thirteenth--twelve days away.
Well, Miss Impatient One (aka Judi) has been bugging me to hurry up and post, so I'd better make this a long one. Let's see... I could type up the passage I'm reading in The Two Towers. Actually, if I had it with me, I'd show you-all one of my favorite poems from The Fellowship of the Ring. It's the one that Sam recites when they're resting beside the trolls, for those of you who've read it already. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. I'm at my grandparents' place right now for a grilled supper, and left The Fellowship at home since I'm done with it. Hold on a second and I'll try to find it on the internet. Back in a second!......................................................................................... ...................................................................................................................................................I'm back! Found it! Here you go:
" 'Come on, Sam!' said Merry. 'There's more stored in your head than you let on about.'
'I don't know about that,' said Sam. 'But how would this suit? It ain't what I call proper poetry, if you understand me: just a bit of nonsense. But these old images here brought it to my mind.' Standing up, with his hands behind his back, as if he was at school, he began to sing to an old tune.
Troll sat alone on his seat of stone,
And munched and mumbled a bare old bone;
For many a year he had gnawed it near,
For meat was hard to come by.
Done by! Gum by!
In a cave in the hills he dwelt alone,
In a cave in the hills he dwelt alone,
And meat was hard to come by.
Up came Tom with his big boots on.
Said he to Troll: 'Pray, what is yon?
For it looks like the shin o' my nuncle Tim,
As should be a-lyin' in graveyard.
Caveyard! Paveyard!
This many a year has Tim been gone,
This many a year has Tim been gone,
And I thought he were lyin' in graveyard.'
'My lad,' said Troll, 'this bone I stole.
But what be bones that lie in a hole?
Thy nuncle was dead as a lump o' lead,
Afore I found his shinbone.
Tinbone! Thinbone!
He can spare a share for a poor old troll,
He can spare a share for a poor old troll,
For he don't need his shinbone.'
Said Tom: 'I don't see why the likes o' thee
Without axin' leave should go makin' free
With the shank or the shin o' my father's kin;
So hand the old bone over!
Rover! Trover!
Though dead he be, it belongs to he;
Though dead he be, it belongs to he;
So hand the old bone over!'
'For a couple o' pins,' says Troll, and grins,
'I'll eat thee too, and gnaw thy shins.
A bit o' fresh meat will go down sweet!
I'll try my teeth on thee now.
Hee now! See now!
I'm tired o' gnawing old bones and skins;
I'm tired o' gnawing old bones and skins;
I've a mind to dine on thee now.'
But just as he thought his dinner was caught,
He found his hands had hold of naught.
Before he could mind, Tom slipped behind
And gave him the boot to larn him.
Warn him! Darn him!
A bump o' the boot on the seat, Tom thought,
A bump o' the boot on the seat, Tom thought,
Would be the way to larn him.
But harder than stone is the flesh and bone
Of a troll that sits in the hills alone.
As well set your boot to the mountain's root,
For the seat of a troll don't feel it.
Peel it! Heal it!
Old Troll laughed, when he heard Tom groan,
Old Troll laughed, when he heard Tom groan,
And he knew his toes could feel it.
Tom's leg is game, since home he came,
And his bootless foot is lasting lame;
But Troll don't care, and he's still there
With the bone he boned from its owner.
Doner! Boner!
Troll's old seat is still the same,
Troll's old seat is still the same,
And the bone he boned from its owner!'
‘Where did you come by that, Sam?' asked Pippin. 'I've never heard those words before.'
Sam muttered something inaudible.
'It's out of his own head, of course,' said Frodo. 'I am learning a lot about Sam Gamgee on this journey. First he was a conspirator, now he's a jester. He'll end up by becoming a wizard - or a warrior!'
'I hope not,' said Sam. 'I don't want to be neither!' "
I wish they had included that in the movie. I noticed that not many (if any) of the poems and songs were used in the movies. And Tom Bombadil wasn't in them at all, I don't think. Judi, you said you were reading The Fellowship. How far in the book are you? Liking it so far? I'm afraid The Two Towers will be delayed some by moving, but with some serious reading and a few bits of stolen time I'll be done before then.
I've been running back and forth from the living room to the office, watching bits of the Cubs game against the Houston Astros. Top of the seventh, Houston 2, Chicago 0. >:(
"Let's pick up the pace, Cubbies!"
We're going to a Cubs/Brewers game on September 26 and I can't wait! Alas, the Moving Disease might get its clutches in that too. If we can't close on the new house by the fifteenth, it might be delayed until, you guessed it, September 26. *raspberry*
Just out of curiosity, is there anyone else reading this that's going to that game? Getting to meet one of you would be cool. As long as you aren't rooting for the Brewers! lol! Actually, my aunt and uncle, who live near enough to go to a lot of Brewers games, might be rather interesting to sit with. She's a Cubs fan, and he's for the Brewers. I think that most of the time they're sitting across the park from each other with a pair of binoculars so they can make faces at one another when 'their' team gains a run!
Lets see. One more thing before I go. Last night we had the 2008 Water Olympics at youth group instead of the normal meeting. We had relays that involved: breaking a full balloon above your head, catching (and breaking) a water balloon thrown by a team mate in a colander above your head, hitting it with a tennis racket, and trying to fill an ice-cream pail with water from a sponge carried over and squeezed above your head. Battleship--a tarp hung over two ladders. someone from Team A throws a water balloon over to Team B. If the water balloon breaks in any way, shape, or form, Team A gets a point. If it goes out of bounds or is caught or just doesn't break, Team B gets the point. Our team won by a landslide. Then we played a game where in the middle of a wet, soapy tarp that's secured to the ground, there are several items: basketball, soccer ball, whiffle ball, foot ball. You line up and everyone gets a number. Then the leader calls out an item ("red and white soccer ball") and a number ("seven"), and then the people with the number seven run and try to get the red and white soccer ball from the middle onto their side. I knew some boys are competitive, but dude! I've never seen them like they were Sunday night! One guy, Josh, had his arms wrapped around the football and dragged himself and five or six other kids halfway across the tarp! (Once or twice the leader called out "all even numbers" or "all girls" or "all boys" or just "free-for-all") And then we had the slip-n-slide, which was great, except now I have a big bruise on each hip.
So that's what's going on here in Cornland. It's now Thursday (I didn't get this quite finished yesterday), and we're packing more. Ugh. Blech. *sigh*
I have to go get more.... packing *shudders uncontrollably* done.... packing in.... boxes *tries desperately to keep from running away, screaming*.
~Boxed-out Kiwifruit
1 comment:
You updated!!! Yay!! Finally. I wish I could go. I'm a big Cubs fan...I used to live right near Chicago.
I'm about five pages in to the Fellowship of the ring, I would be almost finished with it, but I have a book report due, and it's going to be on a Shakespeare play. So, the Fellowship has to wait. :( Those books are kind of long, but, if they're as good as Harry Potter, I'll have them done real fast. :D
-Judi
Post a Comment