Monday, August 11, 2008

There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place...


Well, I'm home again, after that long, grueling-yet-incredibly-fun-filled week of VBS. Sorry it took so long to post again. This past week has been full of nothing. Has it already been more than a week?? Almost two weeks??? How time flies. This is a quick overview of what happened:


The theme (I don't know if I mentioned this already or not) was sort of 'tropical island-ish', with lots of flowers, leis, and surfboards. Mike, Justin, and I led the 3rd & 4th graders together for the week. Most of the kids were fairly easy to control, except for a pair of brothers and one kid I'll call James. James tried to eat part of his plastic lei, his name tag, two pieces of paper, and his Styrofoam cup. Mom says we should have just let him do so, a bit of paper wouldn't hurt him, but it was distracting the other kids, especially the part with the lei. One little boy tried to eat the school glue, but I got it away from him in time.

Just a quick summary: twelve kids in one day (our record) was hard to handle. A total of fifteen kids showed up, but not all on the same day. One bag of ice was used (headache), three band aids (all on the same kid), three broken flip-flops (one broken on purpose by James), four worn-out leaders (by the end of the first day!), five craft projects left behind and never claimed, six songs and their motions to memorize in five days, ten towels left behind for leaders to remember (after water games on the second and fourth days), and about twenty billion papers, crafts, and other things for the kids to forget and the leaders to remember (we finally came up with a solution; put all papers and craft projects in the 'homeroom' for the kids to pick up when their parents come and get them.)! But would I do it all over again? Of course! The only thing I would have rather done that week is move. Yes, I would have done a few things differently, but I would love to go do that again.



So what's new with my life now, you ask. I'll try to boil down the answer to one word, but I don't know how well that will work. Here goes!

Nothing.

Well, that was easier than I expected! But it's true, nothing much is happening now. Last Friday, we all went to our friends' house for lunch and to spend the afternoon. We went bike riding together with three bikes. There were four of us. Rapunzel and Hotshot (we all have nicknames) each rode a bike, and then Cobra and I rode the third. It is new and has pegs on the back so a second person can ride. First I tried pedaling while Cobra rode on the back, but the seat was too low and the handlebars too high for me to ride comfortably. So we switched places, which worked really well. However, she got tired of pedaling after a while. She stopped the bike and I tried to dismount. It didn't work--well. I did get off, but, let's just say it wasn't very graceful. Have you ever been walking along, when all of a sudden your foot turns? Like, instead of stepping on the bottom of your foot, you suddenly step on the side of your foot, and in doing so, trip? That's what happens to me all the time, and that's what happened then. I was wearing flip-flops, so two of my toes got half the skin scraped off, and I had to wear an ankle brace for the next three days. But it's almost back to normal now. :-)



PAINTING NEWS:

I'm working on a Christmas card idea which involves a pine tree with two cardinals in it, in front of a snowing, dark grey-blue sky, with snow on the ground, and a wide border around it. But it needs something more. I'm not sure what, but it needs something. And I need to decide on a color for the border. I tried red, but that distracts too much. And the painting itself needs more detail work. With more detail, I might be able to get away with a red border, w/out it distracting. Suggestions, anyone? I'll put a pic of it on here once I get a satisfactory practice one done.



Here are the results of the poll on Chicken Little characters: Kirby (the little alien) was the favorite with four votes. Chicken Little, Fish Out of Water, Runt, and None of the Above tied for second place with three votes a piece. In third (with two votes) are Abby Duck, Turkey Lurkey, and Morcupine Porcupine. Buck Cluck only landed one vote, and Foxy Loxy and Melvin (Kirby's dad) completely lost. I liked Chicken Little (of course), Fish Out of Water, Kirby, and Morcupine Porcupine best.



Okay, that's all for now, folks! Adios!

~Kiwifruit

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had fun with VBS...you probably should've let that kid eat that stuff. Doesn't sound like it would've hurt him. :)
-Judi (who should probably never be in charge of kids)

Anonymous said...

I wanted to leave the first part of the story alone..but nooooooooo...people..including siblings were like "write more"..
It came back by popular demand.
-Judi

Anonymous said...

Hey..
I was just re-reading your post and it made me remember something really stupid that I did last August...I was running (on a bed) and I went to jump off, and I landed on the side of my foot and it swelled up and I had to wear this like giant cloth bandage for six weeks...it was pretty bad..considering I was old enough to know better..at least, that's what mom says...
-Judi (who has matured a lot since last August when she was fifteen)