Sunday, February 21, 2010

Quotes:

"Mawidge is a dweam wiffin a dweam....The dweam of wuv wapped wiffin the gweater dweam of everwasting west. Etwernity is our fwiend, wemember that, and wuv wiw fowwow you fowever."
~The Princess Bride
by S. Morgenstern,
'edited' by William Goldman

"Inigo was in Despair.
Hard to find on the map (this was after maps) not because cartographers didn't know of its existence, but because when they visited to measure its precise dimensions, they became so depressed they began to drink and question everything, most notably why would anyone want to be something as stupid as a cartographer? It required constant travel, no one ever knew your name, and, most of all, since wars were always changing borders, why bother? There grew up, then, a gentleman's agreement among mapmakers of the period to keep the place as secret as possible, lest tourists flock there and die."
~Buttercup's Baby
by S. Morgenstern,
'edited' by William Goldman

"They danced again; and when the assembly closed, parted on the lady's side at least with a strong inclination for continuing the acquaintance. Whether she thought of him so much, while she drank her warm win and water, and prepared herself for bed, as to dream of him when there, cannot be ascertained, but I hope it was no more than in a slight slumber, or a morning doze at most; for if it be true, as a celebrated writer has maintained, that no young lady can be justified in falling in love before the gentleman's love is declared, it must be very improper that a young lady should dream of a gentleman before the gentleman is first known to have dreamt of her."
~Northanger Abbey
by Jane Austen

"Charles was like most stupid people; he was not stupid all the time. He had occasional flashes of common sense, and even of brilliance. He had one now.
~Freddy and Simon the Dictator
by Walter R. Brooks

While standing out in the rain, playing volleyball, my friend said:
"It's like taking a shower....only less...naked."

"Finding interesting quotes was a hobby of hers. Her goal was to memorize the best of them, to use at proper moments later, in random conversations. Having found many on her own, she now wished to know her friend's favorite quotes, and whether or not they enjoyed her favorites."
~Quotes
by Kiwi

6 comments:

Heather said...

Here's four.

Albert Einstein
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

"The christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because he loves us." --C. S. Lewis

"If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world" -- C. S. Lewis again

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." --Albert Einstein

Daughter of Eve said...

lol! I wondew if he wemembewed to get it befowe he left...=P Ooh, that was fun.=D
Does that person know that you quoted him? He is now famous. *grins* =P

Have a lovely week! =) I'm posting on my blog right now...*headdesk* I'm so bad about it, aren't I?

~Lucy~

Anonymous said...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C. S. Lewis

"But it's for the children!"
Aunt B.

Kristen said...

Ah! Kiwi! You don't know what you have done! Don't you know you should never mention those things around me?! I love quotes! I do like yours, The Princess Bride is stuffed full of good ones. Sadly, I didn't write any of them down when I came upon them. I have, in the last great while, become very bad at writing down the good ones as I come upon them while reading. :(

I have a very vast collection of quotes. ;) I could post dozens and dozens and dozens of them. I will try very hard to only select the very best to grace your blog, hopefully you, at least, are interested by the very best.

"I always have a quotation for everything--it saves original thinking." -- Dorthy Sayers

"Ruby Gillis thinks of nothing but young men, and the older she gets the worse she is. Young men are all very well in their place, but it doesn't do to drag them into everything, does it?" -- L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater." -- Albert Einstein

"His mouth started to speak, but his brain decided it hadn't got anything to say yet and shut it again. His brain then started to contend with the problem of what his eyes told it they were looking at, but in doing so relinquished control of the mouth which promptly fell open again. Once more gathering up the jaw, his brain lost control of his left hand which then wandered around in an aimless fashion. For a second or so the brain tried to catch the left hand without letting go of the mouth and simultaneously tried to think about what was buried in the ice, which is probably why the legs went and Arthur dropped restfully to the ground." -- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

"I regard gold as an expensive way of playing Marbles." -- G.K. Chesterton

"Taking one’s chances is like taking a bath, because sometimes you end up feeling comfortable and warm, and sometimes there is something terrible lurking around that you cannot see until it is too late and you can do nothing else but scream and cling to a plastic duck." -- Lemony Snicket, Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid

Lemony Snicket has said dozens and dozens of amusing things in his publishing career. His book Horseradish is pretty short and very amusing. I think Yourville's library has it if ever you want a little amusement.

"Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it does away." -- Robert Maynard Hutchins

"...[Puddleglum] often pointed out that bright mornings brought on wet afternoons, and that you can't expect good times to last." -- C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair

"I will stay in prison till the moss grows on my eye lids rather than disobey God." -- John Bunyan

"Think of these pages as graffiti maybe, and where I have scratched up in a public place my longings and loves, my grievances and indecencies, be reminded in private of your own. In that way, at least, we can hold a kind of converse." -- Frederick Buechner

"'Can you imagine anything more tragic?' Rose asked. 'To me born a princess --native and to the manor born-- and then to forget who you are and settle for being something horrible like an--an accountant!'" -- Regina Doman, The Shadow of the Bear

"'Oh, but a real princess would know that hard work ennobles the soul,' Rose objected. 'That would be one of the signs.'" -- Regina Doman, The Shadow of the Bear

Kristen said...

"‘The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is over: this is the morning.’
And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; but the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them. And for us this is the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story, which no one on earth has ever read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before." -- C.S. Lewis, The Last Battle

"Would it not be better to be dead than to have this horrible fear that Aslan has come and is not like the Aslan we have believed in and longed for? It is as if the sun rose one day and were a black sun." -- C. S. Lewis, The Last Battle

"As long as you are proud you cannot know God. A proud man is always looking down on thing and people: and, of course, as long as you are looking down you cannot see something that is above you." -- C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"Here. All of you. And you, doorkeeper. No one is to be let out of the house today. And anyone I catch talking about this young lady will be first beaten to death and then burned alive and after that be kept on bread and water for six weeks. There." -- C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy

"But fie on gravity!" -- C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair

"There are a few peevish people in the world who believe that all eleven-year-old boys ought to be hung. Others, less irritable, think that gently chloroforming them would seem more humane. A great many good-natured folks contend that incarceration for a couple of years would prove the best way to dispose of them." -- Bess Streeter Aldrich

"I hate horses. I know people who think that they are noble, graceful animals, but regardless of what a horse looks like from a distance, never forget that it's as likely to step on your foot as look at you." -- Megan Whalen Turner, The Thief

"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." -- G.K. Chesterton

Kristen said...

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word "darkness" on the walls of his cell." -- C.S. Lewis

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln

"People think six is a great many, when it's children. ...they don't mind six pairs of boots, or six pounds of apples, or six oranges, especially in equations, but they seem to think that you ought not to have five brothers and sisters." -- E. Nesbit, The Treasure Seekers

"Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." -- G.K. Chesterton

"Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that's the stuff life is made of." -- Benjamin Franklin

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men afraid of the light" -- Plato

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something." -- Plato

"I worked in a health food store once. A guy asked me, 'If I melt dry ice, can I take a bath without getting wet?'" -- Steven Wright

"...If you'd take your head home and boil it for a turnip it might be useful. I can't say. But it might." -- G.K. Chesterton, The Man Who Was Thursday

"It was Night. In most places, Night is a time for sleep, for calm, and for mystery. But not in New York City, where many things conspired every evening to murder the night." -- Regina Doman, Black as Night

There you are. Thirty quotes for your enjoyment! :D Yes, I have a very poor sense of moderation and self-control. *blush*