I'm working through chemistry (as previously mentioned), and to entertain myself I've started giving chemists points for creativity, clarity, and such.
Creativity Points given for the word "Stoichiometry!" A very original, creative word, I doubt there are any others like it in the chemistry language! Easy to forget how to spell it, but more difficult to forget the word itself or confuse it with others.
Creativity Points removed for "molarity" and "molality." C'mon, surely they could do better than just change one leeetle letter, couldn't they? I understand that molarity came from Moles and molar mass and all that, but what's with the 'l' in molality??
Creativity Points removed for Solvent, Solute, Solution and Solubility. I know they chose similar words to show they're all related, but I always have to repeat them in my head to remember which is used for what.
Easiness Points removed for Pascals (Pa), atmospheres (atm), millimeters of mercury (mmHg), and torrs. 101.3 Pa = 1 atm = 73.15 (or similar numbers of) torr = 73.15 (see last parentheses) mmHg. As I have not yet gotten to the examples of the usefulness of these units, I cannot fully understand them, but....It's just further complications. torr = mmHg. Why? Why have both? It shall probably be explained to me tomorrow, but tonight: why?
I did a lot of ACT studies today. Worked all through the "ACT Mathematics Test: strategies and concept review" section, which I needed. It's amazing how much one forgets when one has not had any algebra for a couple years. Discovered I need tattoos. I want this tattooed up the inside of my left arm:
the definitions of sine, cosine, tangent, secant, cosecant, and cotangent; An=A1 + (N-1)D, An = A1(r)n-1, AX2 + BX + C = 0 (the quadratic formula), Y=MX+B (slope-intercept), and M = (Y2 - Y1)/(X2 - X1) (slope formula)
also I'll have whatever other important info I need to complete the ACT well. I wonder what the ACT people would do if I tattooed my notes on my arm? They can't take THOSE notes away!
~Kiwi~
2 comments:
Well, since most states won't let you get a tattoo until you're 18 and the vast majority of ACT-takers are 17, I doubt they've had that problem often. They probably do have a long list of regulations that it's on, though. Also, at least in Iowa, most people wore sweatshirts or coats during the ACT because of the test dates. ;)
But, if you want to tattoo the definitions of sine, cosine, tangent, secant, cosecant and cotangent on yourself, I'm sure Pooky would approve! :P
Ooh! Now THAT is a smart idea. I shall have to try it. :P Ughhh, I hate having to remember all of those formulas. I've got the quadratic formula down, and the slope-intercept and a couple more are still in processing. :P
You'll do fine, though, I'm sure. ;) Just... try not to be nervous... if that is at all possible lol. AND try not to cram so hard that everything blurs. That's not good... :P
~Queen Lucy~
Post a Comment