Friday, April 25, 2014

A Vernon County Excursion

Last Saturday I joined my boyfriend, Tobias*, and his parents, on a day-trip up to a small town in Vernon County, Wisconsin, to visit his grandma. The plans had changed multiple times due to various schedules, and then Tobias was ill on top of it all. Our Friday and Saturday plans ended up as Saturday from 8:30 AM-10:30 PM.

Tobias's grandma Donna lives on a farm in Vernon County, Wisconsin. We live on the southern edge of the state, where the land is not flat, but not hilly either. More rolling swells, covered in fields. Vernon County, however, is full of steep hills topped with sandstone outcroppings, with winding valleys and creeks. I had forgotten that even Wisconsin has beautiful, dramatic landscapes.

The land Grandma Donna lives on has been in the family for the past 160 years, and the original portion of the house was built in the 1920s. The whole house has family photos scattered over it; some of the most recent grandchild graduation, others I'd guess to be left over from the late 1800s. Her basement is like a time capsule. I would have been content with a rainy day, because I would have simply stayed downstairs and poked through all the old books and records and pictures!

 After returning from a quick visit to Grandma Donna's sister, Tobias and I struck out on a hike. I was so excited to get outside and explore in the beautiful 75-degree weather!

I was oblivious to the camera here.

In this one you can get a sense of how far up we were.


 I am not going to lie. Half the point of this post was to give me a chance to show off our adorable pictures!


I am kicking myself for not taking a few shots of the scenery, though. I'll have to get those another time.

"Here, take a picture!" [spits water at me]

They have a spring on the property, diverted into a (rather gross-looking) tub. Quite drinkable, though.





We left with high spirits, a beautiful sunset, and a promise from Tobias to bring me back sometime. Maybe this summer? I'll hold him to it.

Happy Spring!

--Kiwi

*I had only had to think for a minute before I had his "code name." Tobias. Years ago, my close friend Ruthie and I came up with this lovely scheme of how we'd meet our future husbands--who happen to be brothers--and decided their names would be James and Tobias Wayne. Tobias is mine. =)

No comments: