Sunday morning was a lovely morning, birds chirping, sun shining, blue sky....
Jordan, and my father, and I were sitting in the living room, waiting for the rest of the family to assemble before church. The topic of discussion turned to my recent skirt challenge. (I wore skirts for a week.)
Jordan, and my father, and I were sitting in the living room, waiting for the rest of the family to assemble before church. The topic of discussion turned to my recent skirt challenge. (I wore skirts for a week.)
"Why'd you want to do that?" questioned Jordan.
"For one thing, skirts are more feminine. You don't see men walking around in skirts, do you?" I countered.
"Kilts! Hello!"
"So would you wear a kilt?"
"Maybe."
I gave him a fiendish grin. "You would?"
"Well, if you made me one I would."
"Waaaiiit a minute. you'd have to wear it out somewhere...." A smile appeared on my face as I came up with a suitable dare. "You'd have to wear it to your Boy Scout meeting!"
Jordan backtracked quickly. "But you can't have any help! And it has to have a pocket. And it has to look like a kilt."
"No problem. I could do it easily." I boasted.
"And it has to be done before we leave for scouts on Monday." Jordan added another condition.
Dad chuckled.
"you have to wear it for the entire scout meeting. And you can't wear anything over it. Deal?"
"Deal."
We made the deal with Dad there to confirm it in case of future disagreements on terms.
Dad laughed again. THIS would be a sight to see.
---------------The Next Morning---------------
I was up bright and early the next morning, wanting to make sure I had time to finish the Kilt. After a healthy breakfast of Cheerios, I brought up the fabric and started cutting.
I started with pinning the pleats in back. They were time consuming, but I got them all done. Then I just sewed across the top all the way around, fastening the pleats in place. After that I hand sewed the bottom of the pleats together really quick with just a few stitches per pleat, then used some spray to make it a bit stiffer. 
Next I simply hemmed two of the edges, ran around the bottom edge once to keep it from fraying too much, measured Jordan's waist again, and sewed the two ends together. Then I had him try it on. Too big. I took out the seam, sewed it smaller, Put a button on, and gave it to him to try on. Too small by an inch! (As you can see from the next pictures, he's a bean pole. Tall and skinny.) I just moved the button over some and tossed it back at him. This time it worked.
Poor Jordan didn't think I could make a kilt, much less in a few hours! But to his credit, he wore it to Boy Scouts.
Sadly, the meeting was canceled, and only a few others saw him in it. :( But they enjoyed it and we got pictures!!
For your entertainment (sorry the first two are sideways. I tried to rotate them, but Angus would have none of it!):
The back, with pleats......The side, with button.....

The model!
So what do you think? Did I do a good job? Does this make you want one? To order, please comment on here and let me know. They are $30 a piece, plus shipping and handling. ;)
Still want one, Caleb? :D
~Kiwi~
10 comments:
Lol; good job! You have a brave brother! Too bad the meeting was canceled. ;D
Hey! I love the Monkey silly song!!! It is my new favorite!!!
Hope the Talent Night goes good!
~Lady Florimel~
Bummer about the meeting being canceled. I love the kilt..I think it's pretty funny... :P Your poor brother...
Too bad that meeting was cancelled. That would have been great. :P I can imagine the devious smile on your face as you dare him... >:)moohaha.
I left a comment on your last post. :)
Did you have a pattern that you followed? Cause honestly that doesn't look much like a kilt... More like a skit with a button... and another thing, the fabric looks too thin. They are usually a lot thicker.. but appearances can be deceiving. Sorry if that sounded critical :D
Caleb, you're an awful friend. :P JK. Yeah, I do agree sort of, but if you'd ever tried sewing (WITHOUT a pattern!) then you'd admire her that she did that well!! You wouldn't have even wanted to see it if I had made it... ;) :P Anyway, don't be hard on her because really she did a great job. :D
Awww... I'm hurt! jk :D I didn't mean it to sound harsh.. And it does look pretty good! I'm just saying that with some work it will be a really neat kilt! Check out this site..... http://www.scottishdance.net/highland/MakingKilt.html
I'll have to check that out!! I love Scottish stuff... Kiwi and I have decided to begin some sewing adventures, so maybe that could be next on our list! :D Okay, so you're actually apparently a good friend.. :P ;)
~Queen Lucy~
Post a Comment