Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wednesday #2

Um, I think I shall delay the Exhaustive History of the Newsboys until next week. I had promised Jumbo Shrimp and Short Stuff that I'd be doing that today, but given the circumstances.....I don't think that's gonna happen. I have spent the last....five-and-a-half hours working on school work. Chemistry went slowly, because the teacher did not give me all I needed to complete the lesson. Literature was exhaustive because I was supposed to figure out all the stinkin' symbolism in a horrid, long, boring story. There's gotta be a better way to do school work than slogging my way through!

So instead I'll give you my history project that I've been working on for an hour or so. It's about the Salvation Army. Enjoy!

3-4-2009
A Brief History of the Salvation Army and its Accomplishments
By Kiwifruit
William Booth and his wife, Catherine, founded the Salvation Army in 1865.
William preached to the poor while Catherine spoke to the wealthy, asking for financial support. One of the unique things about Catherine was that she was allowed by the Salvation Army rules to preach. Quite an interesting fact, considering that very few women were allowed to do so at the time.

In 1880, the Salvation Army started work in Australia (a colony of Britain made up of primarily convicts), Ireland, and the United States. Within the next ten years it had spread to twenty-five other countries, such as Canada, New Zealand, Pakistan, and South Africa. The Salvation Army has continued to spread throughout the world, with Namibia, Mali, Kuwait, and Mongolia being the most recent. The Army now covers over one hundred countries.

Eleven years later, the first kettle fundraising drive took place, starting what is now a Christmastime tradition. In 1901, the first Christmas dinner was served to the masses. Now the bell ringing and Christmas dinners are yearly occurrences, with the bell ringing raising millions each year and the dinners feeding hundreds of thousands in the United States alone.

During the World Wars, the Salvation Army was active offering its services to the Allied troops. After the wars, promoted a program called Marching Forward, the main objectives of which included the promotion of evangelism, the prevention of juvenile delinquency, aid to veterans and their families, and the rehabilitation of Salvation Army work in countries devastated by war.
During the Great Depression the Salvation Army found ways to provide food, lodging, and jobs for the needy whenever possible.

The Salvation Army is continuing to serve the world with its charity work through second-hand stores, rehab centers, and disaster relief.




http://www.history.com/encyclopedia.do?articleId=221402
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Salvation_Army

There y'are! It'll probably have a bit more added to it, but that's all there is for now. It was rather interesting doing research for that. Did you know that for quite a while, S.A. Officers were only allowed to marry other officers? And in some countries, they still stick to those rules.

Interesting.

Monday's Song of the Day was guessed correctly...eventually. Catfreak got pretty close when she said "Hallelujah, Sunday's not that far away," so I'll give her 2 1/2 points for getting that close. guitargirl won by answering "Sunday" by Tree 63! This was found right here: "I was also thinking 'hallelujah, Sunday's not that far away!' because I hadn't seen Owan in two weeks." I'm surprised, however, that none of you went back to guitargirl's birthday post and checked for the song there! It was quite obvious. "Happy Birthday" is a song. :D I snuck it past again. :-P

Squirrel Update: Thursday we hung the suet feeder on a clothesline pole, hoping that the squirrel wouldn't notice or be unable to get at it. *raspberry* He shimmied up the pole, and took the suet feeder off!!! That squirrel may not be as dumb as we thought! He didn't just slide the feeder off, he unhooked it!! Rrrgh! So now the feeder is back on the tree and I'm sittin' here watching him, proped up on the mothballs that are supposed to repel him, eating the suet. There's nothing I can do...at the moment. >:)

So now I'm all caught up! I'll see (or rather, write to) you on Friday!

~Kiwi da Fruit

6 comments:

Sarah S. said...

Your English major cousin is curious as to what "horrid, long, boring story" it was. Chances are she's been forced to read it, too.

Brittany November said...

*Waits for "Exhaustive History of the Newsboys"* That shall not be a "Horrid, long, boring story." LOL!
YAY! Bloggin' points! :-D

Kristen said...

*reads all the posts she missed*

I still have the most points! Yay! To borrow the colloquialism from Uncle Johnson: iRock. :P

Kristen said...

*faints* *heart attack* Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! OH MY!! OH MY!!

The Newsboys are coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

*starts coming the Internet for tickets* Ahhhhhhhh!! :P

You can't find a happier girl than me, right now.

Anonymous said...

Arrgh! That was obvious..Anywho, that squirrel sounds evil...

~catfreak70 :)

Anonymous said...

Wow..all that stuff about the Salvation Army was actually pretty cool..I didn't know they formed that early..
-Judi
PS: I'll never find a song title in these posts...i'm kinda hopeless *Shrug*